- 17-Mar-2017 to 30-Aug-2017 (PST)
- Des Moines, WA, USA
- $11.00 to $14.50 per hour DOQ
- Extra-Hire Variable-Hour Part-Time
Not eligible for benefits.
Open Until Filled
Nature of Work
Sports/Gym Supervisors coordinate recreation programs such as: after school programs at elementary and middle schools, various camps and youth special events. Incumbents are directly responsible for activity coordination and supervision of assigned program staff, participants, teen leadership groups and/or community volunteers. May also be assigned to assist at monthly youth dances. Hours vary based on recreation program needs.
Reporting to a Recreation Specialist or Recreation Coordinator, perform a variety of indoor and/or outdoor recreational activities and assignments in support of day camps, afterschool programs, special events and other City programs. Work hours vary based upon program and event schedules.
- Recreation Leader I $11.00 to $13.00
- Recreation Leader II $11.50 to $14.50
- Plans and prepares for program activities.
- Directs supervision of program participants.
- Tracks sign-in/sign-out sheets.
- Enforces rules and maintains order in school gyms, lobby and parking lot areas. Assumes responsibility for ensuring the duties of the position are performed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintains staff and patron safety, order, and discipline at the assigned facilities.
- Explains and interprets operational and programmatic rules and regulations to park patrons, enforces or refers enforcement to proper authorities.
- Ensures general safety, cleanliness, and appearance of assigned facility amenities, including trash pickup, when able to do so without distraction from assigned responsibilities.
- Cleans, drags, rakes, chalks, and sets bases for baseball/softball field setup.
- Assists with the production and distribution of promotional posters and fliers.
- Assists with participant recruitment.
- Assists with program presentations.
- Assists with monthly program evaluations.
- Assists with program administrative reports.
- Keeps routine records and drafts written reports.
- Performs light maintenance duties such as cleaning, vacuuming and mopping.
- Ensures department services are provided with exceptional customer service and highest ethical standards.
- Maintains a professional image and positive attitude at all times.
- Maintains an understanding of department programs and services.
- Understands, adheres to, and enforces departmental and program procedures, confidentiality guidelines, emergency procedures and health and safety standards for all participants and staff.
- Attends meetings/training as required.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative, effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public using principles of good customer service.
- Reports for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the work load.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of recreation program activity planning.
- Knowledge of group game/sports rules.
- Knowledge of developmental abilities and activities for children and teens.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with children and adults when enforcing rules and regulations in a recreation setting.
- Ability to recognize and correct safety hazards.
- Ability to effectively plan, schedule and supervise programs and participants.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to interact and play with program participants through games and athletic activities.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds in order to lift small children and arrange room equipment.
- Must be able to read, interpret, direct, and follow rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in high paced environment.
- Ability to deal with participants and parents with poise and tact in sometimes stressful situations.
Positions in this job classification series are flexibly staffed depending upon qualifications upon hiring with advancement to higher levels as recommended by the department:
- Recreation Leader I This is the entry-level in the job series, focusing on assisting other Recreation Leaders in the instruction and implementation of recreational programs.
- Recreation Leader II This is the lead level in the job series, performing all duties of a Recreation Leader I while providing lead direction to Recreation Leader I staff members, leading program activities, and may transport program participants and staff.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Recreation Leader I Must be 16 years of age or older and must be in attendance at, or on legitimate leave from a high school, trade school, college or university.
- Recreation Leader II High school graduate or GED and two years of experience as a Recreation Leader I or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must obtain First Aid/CPR Card prior to employment, and maintain throughout employment.
- Employment contingent upon passing a criminal history background check.
- Responsible for own transportation to and from various job sites.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background and criminal history check.
Working Conditions and Physical Abilities
- Indoor and outdoor work environments. Outdoor environment can include uneven and unstable walking surfaces, tripping hazards, and inclement weather conditions. Occasional travel to off-site locations is required. Hand-eye coordination and fine-manipulation skills are necessary to operate computers and a variety of office machinery. The position also requires the ability to speak and hear to exchange information, sit for extended periods of time, bend and stretch to retrieve and maintain files and program supplies, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- The City defines an "extra-hire employee" as one who is appointed to a position that is not eligible for benefits except those mandated by law or regulations, such as Social Security and workers' compensation insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job classification, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to balance the workload.
- The physical abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The provisions of this job description do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.