- 16-Mar-2017 to 15-Jun-2017 (PST)
- Des Moines, WA, USA
- $13.00 to $17.00 DOQ
- Extra-Hire Seasonal Full-Time
Not eligible for benefits.
Nature of Work
Harbor Aides perform customer service and basic maintenance duties at the Marina under the general supervision of the Marina Maintenance Manager. Duties are performed predominantly in an outdoor Marina environment.
Open Until Filled
Status and Work Schedule
These are extra-hire, full-time positions for approximately three months this summer. The work schedule is five 8-hour days, either Wednesday through Sunday or Friday through Tuesday. The regular hours are either 6:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. shift or 10:45 a.m. to 7:15 p.m.
- Pumps and sells gas, oil, and supplies to boat owners.
- Collects fees for overnight moorage and writes sales tickets.
- Cleans and maintains restrooms and shower rooms by mopping the floors, scouring toilets and sinks, emptying trash and refilling paper supplies.
- Directs any customer complaints to a supervisor on duty.
- Regular and prompt attendance.
- Collects litter from gardens, yards, and parking lots of Marina.
- Empties garbage cans around Marina facility.
- Maintains garden areas by trimming trees, hedges and other plants.
- Assists with maintenance duties such as painting facilities and fences, cleaning and conditioning equipment, and repairing buildings, roofs, and floats.
- Works Marina events. Schedules subject to change on those days.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative, effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public using principles of good customer service.
- Reports for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to wait on public calmly and politely.
- Ability to accurately handle money exchanges.
- Ability to learn basic skills in carpentry, plumbing, mechanics, etc.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to successfully complete the training program prescribed by the department.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to walk, kneel, stand, or crouch for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform work in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights.
- Ability to swim.
- Ability to hear and speak to exchange information.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Graduation from high school or GED.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the time of appointment.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain throughout employment a valid Washington State Driver's License with a good driving record.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background and criminal history check.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
Working Conditions and Physical Abilities
Work is primarily performed in an outdoor environment, which may include inclement weather conditions, tripping hazards, and uneven and unstable walking surfaces. This position requires the ability to walk, kneel, stand, crouch, climb ladders, work at heights, hear and speak to exchange information, and occasionally lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds. Due to the proximity of the water and the nature of the work, this position also requires the ability to swim.
The City defines an "extra-hire employee" as one who is appointed to a position that is not eligible for benefits except those mandated by law or regulations, such as Social Security and workers' compensation insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job classification, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
- The physical abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The provisions of this job description do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.