- 16-Mar-2017 to 15-Jun-2017 (PST)
- Planning, Building & Public Works
- Des Moines, WA, USA
- Wages: $15.00 to $19.00 per hour DOQ
- Extra-Hire Seasonal Full-Time
These positions are not eligible for benefits.
Open Until Filled
The City is now accepting applications for seasonal openings performing parks maintenance. Duties include performing daily park inspections and cleaning up and softball/baseball field preparation during the week and on weekends. Assists the Parks crew with mowing, field irrigation maintenance, repair and parks improvement projects. Assists other divisions as assigned.
Status and Work Schedule
There are three full-time, seasonal extra-hire positions currently open; two of the positions will last for five months beginning in April, and the third position will last three months starting approximately in June. All positions work a "9-80s" work schedule which provides alternating Fridays off, working 9 hours Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and 8 hours on alternating Fridays from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. To comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act, the "designated workweek" begins and ends at 11:00 a.m. on Fridays. Some weekend work may be assigned.
Performs routine manual labor requiring skill in the operation of hand tools, power tools, and light equipment including mowers, small tractors, and their associated attachments. Typically works independently or as a crew member, under supervision, in the maintenance of City parks and facilities.
- Inspects and cleans parks, streets, and drainage systems manually and mechanically of debris and obstructions.
- Empties trash cans.
- Inspects and performs routine maintenance to play equipment.
- Mows turf with walk behind mower.
- Edges, trims, and maintains planter areas, structures, and pathways.
- Abates graffiti and repairs vandalism.
- Cleans restrooms.
- Performs horticultural maintenance including but not limited to trimming trees and bushes, fertilizing, aerating, and de-thatching park areas.
- Paints and repairs park equipment.
- Cleans, drags, rakes, chalks, and sets bases for baseball and soccer field set-up.
- Assists in the operation, testing, trouble shooting, and repair of automated and manual irrigation systems.
- Assists in the application of fertilizers and pesticides.
- Performs light construction and maintenance tasks including but not limited to painting, asphalt and concrete work, carpentry, and sign installation.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative, effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public using principles of good customer service.
- Reports for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of park operations and maintenance procedures.
- Knowledge of work hazards and applicable safety precautions.
- Skill to operate hand and power tools.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Ability to follow written and/or verbal instruction.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights on sloped surfaces.
- Ability to document park inspections and work performed.
- Ability to operate hand tools, power tools, and light equipment safely and effectively.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Experience in maintenance or related work preferred.
- Mechanical aptitude and experience using related power tools and hand tools preferred.
- Successful applicants must provide own steel-toed, safety boots (City may reimburse for the cost of the boots up to a maximum of $75).
- Possession of and the ability to maintain throughout employment a valid Washington State Driver's License with a good driving record.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background and criminal history check.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
Working Conditions and Physical Abilities
- Work is primarily performed in an outdoor environment, which may include uneven and unstable walking surfaces, tripping hazards, moderate noise levels and inclement weather conditions. Position requires driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Position requires frequent interpersonal skills, teamwork, creativity, customer service, use of discretion, independent judgment and/or action, ability to perform basic math and ability to write, understand, read, and speak English; occasional problem analysis, and rare decision making and negotiation.
- Position requires frequent standing, walking, stooping, talking, reaching, feeling, bending, kneeling, climbing, grasping, hearing, handling, fingering and repetitive motions of hands, wrists, and feet; occasional sitting, and rare crawling. Must be able to push, pull, and carry 50 pounds and lift 100 pounds.
- The City defines an "extra-hire employee" as one who is appointed to a position that is not eligible for benefits except those mandated by law or regulations, such as Social Security and workers' compensation insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job classification, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
- The physical abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The provisions of this job description do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.