- 18-Jan-2017 to 30-May-2017 (PST)
- Public Works
- Des Moines, WA, USA
- 2016 Top of Pay Range $30.08 per hour; 2017 Pay Not Settled
- Regular Full-Time
The City provides an attractive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance, Washington State PERS retirement, 401(a) Social Security replacement plan, 457 retirement plan contribution, and paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
Open Until Filled
Complete the online application at the City's website. Please note that the online application includes an online test which may take up to 45 minutes. Only those applicants who meet the minimum qualfications will be prompted by the system to complete the online test.
Nature of Work
This position is currently assigned to the Surface Water Management Division of the Planning, Building and Public Works Department. Under the direct supervision of the Public Works and Parks Maintenance Superintendent, with direction from the Lead and Senior Maintenance Workers, this position performs installation, repair and maintenance of surface water drainage facilities. Typically works as a crewmember under supervision. This position is primarily assigned to the Surface Water Management Division, but assists the Streets and Parks Divisions as needed.
- Performs installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of City streets, storm drainage systems, parks, buildings, and other City structures and facilities as assigned.
- Performs repair, maintenance, and construction of City streets and right-of-ways; repairs potholes and sidewalks; seals pavement cracks and performs patching; re-paints pavement markings and applies pavement buttons; spreads sand and removes snow; replaces and maintains street signs; installs traffic control signals and devices.
- Performs repair, maintenance, and construction of storm drainage systems; locates storm drainage systems and ditches; inspects retention and detention facilities; installs and cleans catch basins and culvert pipes.
- Maintains City parks and recreation grounds; mows, edges, and applies pesticides and fertilizer to landscaped areas; maintains turf, trees, shrubs, athletic fields, and play equipment; installs, repairs and maintains irrigation systems; plants and maintains flower beds; rakes leaves, prunes and trims trees, and repairs fences as needed.
- Assists other divisions with tasks as needed.
- Provides assistance to other departments and special events as needed.
- Removes and disposes of trash.
- Operates departmental equipment, including but not limited to pickups, tractor mower, brush cutter, backhoe, boom truck, front-end loader, grader, roller, dump truck, tractor, chipper, chain saws, weed eaters and other handheld power tools.
- Performs preventative maintenance and minor adjustments to equipment.
- Organizes and assembles materials and equipment necessary for tasks.
- Maintains accurate records and completes service requests.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative, effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public using principles of good customer service.
- Reports for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Methods, equipment and materials used in general maintenance and construction work.
- Equipment, tools and techniques used in the maintenance and repair of streets, storm drains, and landscaping.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Basic equipment repair and maintenance.
- Effectively apply the methods, operations and activities of street, storm drain, and park maintenance programs.
- Operate and repair a variety of equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
- Perform a variety of heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time under varying weather conditions.
- Perform the essential functions of the position.
- Be punctual and dependable.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Accurately perform basic mathematical computations.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or GED.
- Three years' equivalent work experience in streets, surface water, or park maintenance.
- Successful completion of pre-employment background, criminal history, and driving record checks.
- Possession of valid Washington State driver's license and a good driving record, and the ability to maintain throughout employment.
- Possession of, or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire date, a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
- Pre-employment, random, and post-accident drug and alcohol testing are required for this position.
- Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR card, or obtain within three months of hire date, and ability to maintain throughout employment.
- Possession of a current Washington State Department of Transportation Traffic Flagging Card, and ability to maintain throughout employment.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Work is primarily performed in an outdoor environment, which may include uneven and unstable walking surfaces, tripping hazards, moderate noise levels, adverse weather conditions, exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, chemicals, pesticides, traffic, and heavy equipment. This position requires the ability to walk, kneel, stand, crouch, crawl, climb ladders, bend, dig, hear and speak to exchange information, and occasionally push, pull, and lift objects weighing up to 100 pounds. Occasionally must lift, push, and pull objects up to 60 pounds single-handedly and 200 pounds with assistance. Position requires driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
- This is a union position represented by the Teamsters Local Union No. 763.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job classification, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements.
- The physical abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The provisions of this job description do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.