- 04-Nov-2016 to 30-Jun-2017 (PST)
- Des Moines, WA, USA
- $10.00 to $13.50 per hour DOQ
- Extra-Hire Variable-Hour Part-Time
Not eligible for benefits.
Wages: $10.00 to $13.50 per hour DOQ
Open Until Filled:
To Apply: Applications are accepted online only at www.desmoineswa.applicantpro.com.
Nature of Work
The Recreation Leader II works with the Recreation Coordinator and other staff as assigned to coordinate recreation programs such as: after school programs at elementary and middle schools, various camps and youth special events. Recreation Leaders are directly responsible for activity coordination and supervision of assigned program staff, participants, teen leadership groups and/or community volunteers. Recreation Leaders may also be assigned to assist at monthly youth dances. Hours vary based on recreation program needs.
- Plans and prepares for program activities.
- Directs supervision of program participants.
- Tracks sign-in/sign-out sheets.
- Assists with the production and distribution of promotional posters and fliers.
- Assists with participant recruitment.
- Assists with program presentations.
- Assists with monthly program evaluations.
- Assists with program administrative reports.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative, effective working relationships with coworkers, other City employees, and the general public using principles of good customer service.
- Reports for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of recreation program activity planning.
- Knowledge of group game/sports rules.
- Knowledge of developmental abilities and activities for youth & teens.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with teens and adults when enforcing rules and regulations in a recreation setting.
- Ability to recognize and correct safety hazards.
- Ability to effectively plan, schedule and supervise programs and participants.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Ability to interact and play with program participants through games, athletic activities, and swimming.
Education and Experience
- Previous experience in leading youth and/or teen recreation activities.
- Completion of college-level courses in recreation leadership or education may be substituted for experience on a year per year basis.
- Specialized knowledge of recreation activities is desirable.
- Must obtain First Aid/CPR Card prior to employment.
- Valid Washington Driver's License with satisfactory driving record.
- Employment is contingent upon passing a criminal history background check.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
Working Environment and Physical Abilities
- Indoor and outdoor work environment. Outdoor environment can include uneven and unstable walking surfaces, tripping hazards, and inclement weather conditions. Occasional travel to off-site locations is required. The position requires the ability to speak and hear to exchange information, sit for extended periods of time, run, bend, stretch and lift up to 50 pounds.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job classification, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to balance the workload.
- The physical abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The provisions of this job description do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.