- 04-Nov-2016 to 03-Jun-2017 (PST)
- Des Moines, WA, USA
- $9.50 to $13.50 per hour
- Extra-Hire Variable-Hour Part-Time
Not eligible for benefits
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
To Apply: Complete the online application at www.desmoineswa.applicantpro.com.
Salary Grades: EH-1 and EH-2, $9.50 to $13.50 per hour
Nature of Work
The Before and After School Program Leader will work with the Recreation Coordinator to coordinate these successful program sites. Before and After School Program Leaders will be directly responsible for daily activity coordination and supervision of program participants and teen leadership training program interns, and community volunteers. Position is available September through June. Before School Program Leaders will work Monday through Friday, 6:15-9:15 a.m. After School Program Leaders will work Monday through Friday, 3:30-6:15 p.m.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervision of program participants.
- Theme based activity planning and delivery.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recreation program activity planning.
- Group game/sports rules.
- Developmental abilities and activities for youth.
- Deal tactfully and effectively with children and adults when enforcing rules and regulations in a recreation setting.
- Recognize and correct safety hazards.
- Effectively plan, schedule and supervise programs and participants.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Interact and play with program participants through games, athletic activities, and swimming.
Education and Experience
- Previous experience in leading recreation activities and/or working with children preferred.
- Must obtain First Aid/CPR Card prior to employment.
- Employment contingent upon passing a criminal history background check.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
- Valid Washington Driver's License with satisfactory driving record.
Work Environment and Physical Abilities
Indoor and outdoor work environment. Outdoor environment can include uneven and unstable walking surfaces, tripping hazards, and inclement weather conditions. Occasional travel to off-site locations is required. The position requires the ability to speak and hear to exchange information, sit for extended periods of time, run, bend, stretch and lift up to 50 lbs.
May include: formal application; review of education and experience, written response to structured questionnaire, testing, oral interview, reference check, and selection.
The City defines an "extra-hire employee" as one who is appointed to a position that is not eligible for benefits except those mandated by law or regulations, such as Social Security and workers' compensation insurance.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge, skills and abilities typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to balance the workload.
- The City of Des Moines is a drug-free, tobacco-free workplace.
- The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.